Why I am putting down my mobile phone

In today’s society, technology is everywhere. There is really no escaping it. Our generation is the generation where the world has come on leaps and bounds technology wise and it has given people so many opportunities because of it. From watches that you can call people on to your phone actually talking back to you, it is crazy how far we have come in the past 50 odd years.


However, due to this, we have just been staring at the world through a screen and I am no expectation to this. This is why I have started to put down my iPhone 4 [shout out to the oldies] and starting doing this and actually living in the real world and not online for once.

My phone has pretty much been my life for the past 5 years, especially focusing on the online apps etc. It has given me the opportunity to take photographs of memories and share them, keep in contact with family and friends and share spontaneous things about my life that people probably don’t want to know or don’t care about but they know anyway.
However, over the past month or so, it has kinda hit me on how dependant I am on my phone and on technology in general.
In the morning before I get up and every night before I go to sleep, I would check my phone or my tablet and go on my social media accounts, without a shadow of a doubt. I would spend an hour or so on the device but the awful thing is is that I wouldn’t even realise I have been on it for that long. What was only supposed to be a 5 minute check on my Twitter and replying to notifications etc, has turned into a 60 minute long thing. 60 minutes of my life on a phone. And it can even be longer than that!
And this is what has hit me. I spend most of my day on an electronic device, whether it be my phone, tablet or laptop. Sometimes I am on it for a purpose like job searching and blogging but most of the time I am just on social media. I spend farrrr too much time in the online world and keeping up to date with my favourite accounts and trying to keep up with my notifications [especially after a twitter chat] that I would just be enthralled in that for hours without even realising and without even caring. I would just be sat on my bed or on the sofa getting numb because I haven’t moved in a while because I was on my phone.
This is the reason I am putting down my mobile phone.
I don’t want to live like that anymore, I don’t want to live through a little screen. Over the past couple of weeks, I have actually be getting out more, whether it is to go shopping or on a 4 hours long walk, it has just been good to let go of the online world and start living in the real one.
Now I do take my camera with me and of course my phone in case of an emergency or something but it is just nice to have a walk around, either on my own or with a friend, and start exploring this beautiful planet we live on.
On a morning I will get up first instead of turning to my phone straight away! On a night I will have a read of my book I am reading [shout out to Father Brown at this point] instead of looking at my phone. During the day, if I am not working or if I am bored, I will pick up my book or doing something like tidy my room or bake etc, and not go on an electronic device. And it feels so blooming marvellous!
Living in a world that is so technology advanced is fabulous. It connects you to new people, gives you an opportunity to share things you are passionate about or that you are hating at the moment and it gives you a platform to speak your opinion without feeling like you are being judged for it [well, most of the time anyway!].
But as amazing as all that is, it is even more thrilling in the real world and that is why I have put down my mobile phone.

Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own

Comments

Popular Posts