Breakfast at Tiffany's Eye mask

That time of month again. Yes, get your needles and pins out and get ready to make something handmade. And to make it even more special, it is my 200th post, eek!!!

This months make comes in the form of an eye mask for any of you sleepy heads out there! this was taken from Chloe Owen's All Sewn Up book I received for Christmas! What makes this one even more special to me is that it is inspired by my favourite film, Breakfast at Tiffany's.


The perfect eye mask for me!
Starring my love, Audrey Hepburn as the main character Holly Golightly, it would be shocking if I didn't make this. And what makes it even more good is that it was so easy to make.

So here is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's Eye mask'...

What you will need:
 
Fabric or Felt for front, back and eyelids (I used blue for all three parts)
Black felt
Fading fabric makers
pins/needles/scissors
Fabric glue
Gold sequins
Gold or yellow thread
Trim for the edge of mask (I used lace)
Tape Measaure
Elastic or ribbon for the tie
Sewing Machine
 
Due to the fact I like to push myself in my creative skills, I actually hand sew this mask but you can use a sewing machine if you prefer that.
 
What to do now:
 
1. First up, I measured out my face, from eye to eye, and then marked it out on my felt. Then I just drew out half the mask in what a eye mask would look like normally. I folded the felt in half so that I wasn't cutting two separate mask shape and that they would turn out the same. However, by folding the material in half again (in quarters) with the outline of the mask you have drawn out, it would make the mask the same shape on both sides when you cut it.
The measurement came out as 19cms so that is how big my mask is going to be.
 
Measured my head and pinned where the mask's length should be


Draw out a rough half a mask shape, make sure it covers your eyes,
then half the fabric again into quarters cut around the shape.
2. Next, cut out two eyelids, so in a squashed arch shape. Again, like the mask, I folded the felt in half so that I had two exactly the same instead of doing it separately and I did this free hand but if you search on the internet, you will be able to find one I am sure, if you are not confident.  
 
3. So you have your eyelids, now to cut out some eyelashes. Like before, I free styled but made sure the lashes are swooping one way. Taking the fabric glue, stick the eyelashes to the bottom of the eyelids and voila, you have done the eyes!
 
What the eyes should look like roughly
4. Then take your gold sequins and sew them on the each eye line to glam them up a bit because who doesn't love a bit of sequins!
 
What they should look like after the gold sequins have been sewed on
5. Now to glue the finished eyelids onto the front of the mask. Pinch the eyelids a bit to mold them into a curve. Once you've done this, add a little glue on the back of the lids, around the curve, and stick them onto the front.
This creates a cool 3D effect, which makes it look even more funky!
Make sure you leave enough time to dry.
 
Glue the eyelids onto the front of the mask, creating a curve.
6. With the fabric marker, draw on eyebrows and using either gold or yellow thread, sew over the lines, going over them a couple of times. You can also do this for the eyelids as well but unfortunately I ran out of thread to do this but it will make the eyelids be more secure on.
 
7. Glue or pin your chosen trim all the way around the edge, the shaped edge of the trim should be facing inward on the front mask so when you turn it inside out then it will show and not be inside the mask, which isn't very good!
 
8. If you are using elastic for the tie then measure it around your head to a comfy length, you don't want it too tight.
If you are using ribbon, again measure it around your head to a comfortable length and then cut the ribbon in half to create two pieces.
Pin the ends of the ribbon/elastic in place on the mask, with the front facing you and it should be over the trim. Place the back of the mask over this and pin it in place all around the edges.
The right sides should be together once you have done this.
 
What it should look like once you have put everything in
position and pinned it.
 
What it should look inside, the trim going around and the elastic
in position. You are ready to sew
9. Time for sewing. I sewed by hand but if you are using a sewing machine, make sure you are getting all of the trim when you sew.
Which ever method you are using, make sure you don't go right to the edge (leave a gap between the edge of the fabric and your stitching) and go over the ribbon/elastic a couple of times to secure it in place.
Leave a gap so you can turn the mask right side out!
 
10. Sew that gap up once your mask is right side out and voila, you have your very own eye mask, even Audrey Hepburn would love!
 
And the final result...
 




 
I love how simple this was to make, if you carefully follow the instructions and if you are stuck then look at the pictures, it should be easy!
I adore the blue felt I used, it is a reference to the film Breakfast at Tiffany's Holly Golightly's eye mask, which was the main inspiration to this design. The extra dazzle with the gold sequins, it is such a simple design but so effective in the way it looks glamorous.
You will definitely feel like a Hollywood star/icon when you sleep now!
Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own!

Comments

  1. Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my all time favourite films so I love this! Not sure I have the patience for sewing anymore after doing A level textiles though! x

    www.bisoushollyolivia.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favourite ever film, I absolutely adore it! And you can, if I can do it then anyone can! Trust me, it was so much easier to make than I thought initially! Plus the fact, it was so worth it because I love it x

      Delete
  2. Nice information of tiffany's eye mask of your post.This eye mask is best for sleeping.http://bit.ly/2tZtmWq

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts