On the topic of periods

Yep, you read that right. Periods. Something that every girl will go through in her life and something that is often nudged to one side. A controversial topic to many but one, I think that women should embrace it and I am here to tell you why!


So here is 'On the topic of periods'...
Note: I am not an expert when it comes to these things obviously, this is my opinion based on my experiences. 

A few weeks ago, two friends and I went to something called a red tent. So one of them told us about how women in tribes were sent away when they were on their periods to a tent (the red tent) by the men and they would sit there until it was over.
It was suppose to be some kind of punishment I guess.
However, something truly magical and special happened.

They would talk and embrace each other. Whoever was holding the talking stick was the only person that could speak and everyone else would just sit and listen. They could talk about anything and everything without having the fear of being judged.
Personally, I feel nowadays people don't give enough time to each other and communicate with people (period or no period) because we live in a busy society and different lifestyles get in the way. I mean that is my opinion, yours may be the same or differ.
 For that time in the tent, women would help each other, a concept that I believe is sometimes forgotten about. They would give thanks or express some feelings or just have a good cry because you know what, it is ok to do all of these things!!!
The main thing is that they would be there in that tent because of their periods. You don't have to be on your periods to go but the whole concept of it is because of that. 
I am not going to lie, I hated being 'on'. I couldn't deal with the pain or the emotions and I hated that time of the month. But going to the red tent and seeing all of these beautiful women, with a mixture of ages and background, coming together to celebrate something that I think is often frown upon by people was a beautiful thing to see.
Periods should be celebrated, it is your body cleansing itself.
Now I see it as your body letting go and making you ready for a fresh start until the next time.
You may be thinking 'Caroline, why on earth are you talking about this' or 'You are really weird' and yes I am weird but to round it all off, every women goes through having periods, it is a way of life but are you going to hate them or embrace them?
Well there you have it!
Who knew I would be writing about periods when I first set up this blog!!
Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own!

Comments

Popular Posts