I'm coming for you, Alzheimer's (Part Two)

So last year, I shared with you a post that was really personal to me about dementia, focusing on Alzheimer's Disease. (You can read the post here.)

In the post, I explained my experiences with the disease and how it effected me as I was only young and didn't know what was happening. In case you haven't read it, my Grandma Nancy tragically died of the disease in 2008 and I had no clue what was happening to her in her final years. She was not the same grandma I knew although I loved her and treasured her the same, even more if that iwa possible .


However, like stated in the other article, I am not writing this for sympathy or "I'm so sorry for your loss" because as much as I wish and want it to, it does not change anything.
I am writing part two because dementia as a whole NEEDS to be talked about much more then it does.

Due to the fact that this week is Dementia Awareness Week (17-23 May 2015), I am going to see if I can do something  and well, awareness is key to help fight this terrible disease.


 
Since the first part of this post was publish (September 2014), I planned on making handmade little hearts to sell with all the money going to the Alzheimer's Society and I still do intend to do this.
 
However, because I have not had the time to start making these yet and because it is Dementia Awareness Week, I want to do something now. And to help me with this challenge, my lovely friend Jen is also getting on board with it!
Therefore, we have decided to give up junk food for a month starting tomorrow (Monday 18th May).

A list of the food/drinks Jennifer and I are not allowed to eat during this next month starting tomorrow (18th May- 18th June):
Fast food (including takeaways, burgers, hot dogs etc), biscuits/cakes/pancakes/doughnuts, crisps, chips, pizza, chocolate/sweets, ice cream, popcorn, ready meals, fizzy drinks, fried food, cheese, cream and milkshakes.

Alzheimer’s is one of the most deadly and heart breaking disease anyone could have.  
 
It does not care who you are, what age you are, what you have done or what you want to do in life. It can make the strongest person into the weakest. It can break a person and their family or bring them together. But most importantly, it can teach a person to fight. Fight for their life.
 
So because of my little (big) challenge, I will be posting on here every week about how I am feeling, how it is going, what I have eaten and tips I have if you are thinking of doing it etc. I will also be giving money to the Alzheimer's Society to help in the fight against dementia in the process and if I do slip up then I will add an extra £5.
 
Wish me luck because I am going to need a lot of it hahahah...
 
If you want to get involved with DAW2015 then click here for more information.
For information on how to donate to the Society, click here.
 
 Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own!

 

Comments

Popular Posts