Alzheimer's Society No junk food Challenge: One week on

So it has been almost week since my friend and I decided to do the no junk food challenge for Dementia Awareness Week and I don't know about Jen, but I've found this week hard.

Not hard in the fact that I ate loads of junk food because I couldn't do it but in the fact that it has been a huge eye opener.



I made the overall image
Source for images used in picture:
 Ice cream, chocolate, sweet, burger, chips, milkshake, cheese, cookie, popcorn, pizza

I wanted to do this challenge to test myself but to also raise money and awareness for Dementia, focusing on the Alzheimer's  Disease and the Alzheimer's Society.

However, it has shown me how reliant I was in ready meals and snacks to get my through my days.

Here is how...

From frozen pizza and chips to biscuits and crisps when I'm at university, junk food was a big part of my diet, which surprised me. I mean I thought I ate ok, not as healthy as I could have eaten but I tried to eat as much fruit and vegetables as I could. I have cut back on crisps and biscuits over the past few years, I don't add any extra salt on my food but it has shown me the amount of time I wasted on putting things in the microwave.

And I bet I am not the only one who thinks this.
When you walk down the food aisles in supermarkets and normally you would see that fruit, veg and other healthy foods are more expensive than some of the junk food products like microwavable meals. I understand that it's the person's choice on what they buy but surely if people want us to live more healthy then why are we paying so much for the food that is good for us? Again other factors contribute in the pricing of food but it is crazy to see the prices of some things. Please note that this is my opinion and yours may differ.

Ok so what have I been eating this past week?

To keep my mind focused and to highlight the food I have consumed, I decided to write down what my daily food intake was.
From salmon, baby new potatoes, porridge to carrot sticks, eggs, Quorn (I am a vegetarian) and tuna, they all give the body vital nutrition's, giving you energy and making you less hungry therefore consuming less.


First week down: My food notes

Some of my meals over the week:

Salmon, baby new potatoes and carrot sticks with a little
gravy


Grilled salmon (no oil), baby leafs and
toasted bagel


Grilled tune, no oil (it was an experiment ha)

Quorn burgers, baby leaves, wholemeal bread
toasted (bit of butter) and carrot sticks.
Grilled but no oil.

I also drank these, not every day. The smoothie
consists of: strawberry, milk, banana and oats.

So what could you eat if you want to cut out/down the junk food?

Oily Fish
For example: mackerel, tuna and salmon.
It's a great source of vitamin D, protein and some B vitamins. It's also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat good for our health. A healthy diet should contain at lest two fish based meals a week.


Fruit
For example: raspberries, bananas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, pineapples, apples, mangos, watermelons, lemons, grapes, oranges.
Enjoy fruits as much as you want, they are tasty and nutritious. They are lower in sugar content and they're filled with antioxidants, cancer-fighting properties and loads of benefits to keep you healthy.
 

Vegetables
For example: potatoes, spinach, carrots, broccoli, peas, asparagus, peppers,
The nutrients in vegetables are vital for health and maintenance of your body and by eating them they may reduce the risk for stroke, cancer, heart diseases and type-2 diabetes.


Nuts
For example: Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios, Walnuts, Peanuts 
Nuts are great for healthy fats, protein, vitamins and minerals. However, they are high in calories so a handful at a time.



Eggs
Eggs are great for protein, vitamins and minerals in good, balanced diet.



Well there you go! 1 week down, 3 more to go.
Have you done anything for charity recently? Or are you trying to cut out the junk food in your life?


Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own!
 

Comments

Popular Posts