At boiling point

Stress can be a number of things and effects a number of people. It can make the most organised person into the most disorganised person.
 
However, stress can cause people to have a break down.
I am one of them.

Me and stress are not a good combination. I hate it.
I get stressed out so easily and over the smallest of things. I don't know how this started and I don't know why. I just do.

Take the other month for example (Tuesday 25th November 2014).
It was at uni. I am sitting at my computer doing my work in the lesson.
Suddenly these other students come into our section (because it isn't like a classroom with walls and a door, it is one huge room with a number of different 'bays' we call them).
I don't handle loud noises really well or for a long period of time. And to start with they were quiet but then they increased in their volume.



Anyway, I just let it all get on top of me because I had to finish this task and I started crying (bare in mind I have been stressing out about uni work for days now).
One of my fellow classmates (I wont name you but you know who you are) came up and gave me a hug, telling me "everything will be ok". I said why I was crying (stress, the work load etc) and my tutor handled it well and helped me.
I did eventually get the work done but I let stress take over me and I finally had a break down again.


However, this isn't the first time I have been this stressed. In college, I just cried when my History teacher asked me a question about a topic we had been studying in that lesson. I couldn't answer so instead I just cried. I also did this in my Media class. It was my favourite subject so I wanted to get good grades in this one especially but I just cried. For about 30 minutes.



I have been so stressed with the amount of work I've had to do in school/college/uni but you would not think it because I am one of those people who actually do the work.
 
The reason why I am telling you all of this is because I having crying break downs in which I think that I cant do this anymore etc. It isn't the first and it wont be the last.



However, you cant let stress and the pressure of doing all the work at once get to you. Everyone goes through it and they handle it all differently to suit themselves.

Here are my top 5 tips I use to distress myself!
 
1. Talk to someone! You may feel like you are putting all your problems onto someone else who has problems too. But you have to talk to someone. I didn't and look where that got me. No where apart from feeling even more stressed. Speak to a friend, family member, teacher, work colleague or someone you trust, getting everything off your chest relaxes you and your mind.

2. You have to take one step at a time. No matter how long, don't rush. Otherwise everything will get on top of you and that's the last thing you want. You cannot control everything so take things as they come.


3. Make a timetable. Yeah, I know, very old school. But it does help you in being organised and ready for the day ahead. You should include small breaks to relax, eat and distress yourself from your work.

4. Eat food that gives you brain power. Bananas, blueberries, tomatoes, wholegrain, oily fish, nuts and broccoli are excellent sources for this.

5. Go out! Whether it is with friends, family, your partner, going out is key. Whilst taking a break, it also puts your mind on something else instead of focusing on the work load. Going to the cinemas, shopping or to a friends house for a catch up, it really does help.
 
So that is it! I hope this has helped you cope a bit better with stress!
Remember: you control your boiling point.
Until next time

-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own!

Comments

Popular Posts