Making the right career choices

Sorry, I haven't posted in a while- it's the summer holidays so I have been busy. However, I am back and for my next blog post I am going to be writing about making the right career choices.

If you know me personally then I am currently at university, studying a Foundation Journalism degree. Obviously by looking at my course I am doing, I would love to become a Journalist, working in a magazine or via a website. But how do you find the 'right' career for you.


During primary school and secondary school, teachers would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. This varied from being a teacher, a vet, a dancer, an actor, a CSI (crime scene investigator) or a business woman etc, so I have wanted to become a lot of things in my life so far.

But what made me choose to become a journalist and how do you choose what you want to be?

SO here is 'Lifestyle| Making the right career choices'...

First things first, a brief outline on why I wanted to become a journalist.

Let me take you back to 2007. I am in Year 8 at secondary school and I am flicking through TV channels when I come across a programme called Smallville.
    Smallville is an American show about the DC Comic superhero Superman (aka Clark Kent). Throughout all 10 series, it focuses on Clark before he puts on the iconic blue suit and red underpants and cape. Now you are probably thinking, 'why on earth would a TV show about a superhero help in what you (I) want to be?' However, journalism played a big part in many of the characters since most of them ended up in the industry. I mean Clark Kent disguises himself as a journalist just so he can keep a look out of any crimes.

Anyway, the point of all of this is this programme was a factor in why I chose to become a journalist. Obviously it has been portrayed in a certain way for the show and its not necessary correct but watching how the characters had to interview people, write the articles and decide whether something should be printed in the newspaper got me interested in finding out more about the industry.

Don't get me wrong, me finding this programme was by chance and me becoming interested in journalism because of it is even more of one. It purely happened because I was intrigued by the show and I just so happened to stumble on what my career could be.
(For the record, watching this show wasn't the only thing that made me want to be a journalist- I do like reading/watching news and writing articles about it too.)

This moves me onto my next point. By deciding that becoming a journalist interested me, I researched about it. Researching about one job or 20 for that matter, it doesn't matter because just by looking up the occupation that interests you via a person, a company or via the internet, it makes your head a lot clearer. It may also narrow down your list, make you decide that that career option is not for you or is for you. It just helps.

Another thing that I did and you could do is talk to someone. A careers advisor, a teacher, a parent or someone working in that industry, it gives you perspective.

However, don't be pushed into something you don't want to do. Yes, you might please your parents or you might be the best at doing that job but do you really want to do it as a career? Don't be something you don't what to be just because it pleases someone else. Do something you love and enjoy. It is as simple as that. Stick to your interests and be patient- it does take time but it will be worth it in the end!

Focus on the skills you are good at. By identify these, choosing a career path should be easier as you are concentrating on what you are good at. The skills that you aren't so good at can be worked upon.

Don't get all worked up because you haven't decided what you want to be when you finish secondary school or you haven't chosen a university course to do. It doesn't matter! Take a gap year out if you haven't. It really isn't the end of the world, so don't panic!


So skip to the present, I have now passed my first year of university and now going into my second year. Just by watching a television programme by chance, researching career options and by talking to people about it, it got me to where I am now- writing articles and this blog.

MY TOP 5 TIPS IN CHOOSING A CAREER:
1. Do something that you are interested in and something in which you enjoy doing. Don't be forced into doing anything that you wont put 110% in. It just isn't worth your time. Be patient, you aren't going to choose overnight.
2. Research. This is key. Before you make any decisions about your future, research any career you thought you wanted to do. This clears your mind and it helps you when you make your decision in the end.
3. Talk to someone about it. A careers advisor or someone working in what you want to do are the best people to ask.
4. Identify your skills. Everyone has skills in which they are great at and some in which they aren't. Focus on what you are good at. Who knows, your future job might help in the ones you aren't as good at.
5. Don't forget, you can always change careers in the future so don't panic. 


Good luck in choosing your career, I hope this has helped!

 
 
 
Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own!
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts